Smokey Tomato & Chickpea Shakshuka
Updated: Jan 24
I had this delicious dish at a yoga retreat and knew I had to recreate it when I got home and ta da....here it is.
I love making this dish because it is easy to make and so versatile, plus it freezes well too.
I have made some serving suggestions below and so, without futher ado....I present to you, this lovely dish.
Smokey Tomato & Chickpea Shakshuka Time: 15 minutes
2 Tbsp oil (I use coconut)
1 medium size onion - diced
1 red pepper - chopped (I use the sweet long ones - organic)
3 garlic - minced
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tsp of sugar (I use coconut)
1/2 tsp of Himalayan or sea salt and black pepper
1 1/2 tsp of smoked paprika
1 tin of chickpeas - drained and rinsed
Large handful of flat leaf parsley - chopped
1/2 lemon - juiced (you can start with a tablespoon first and taste but I usually find 1/2 a lemon right)
1. Heat the oil over a medium heat, add the onions and let them sweat (don't let them brown)
2. Add the garlic and cook until the raw smell goes away (a couple of minutes)
3. Add in your peppers and cook for another 5 minutes
4. Add and mix in the smoked paprika, salt and pepper before adding your chickpeas to coat, then the tomatoes
5. Cook through for a few minutes and then add the lemon juice and your parsley (don't be shy with the herbs)
6. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary
7. Enjoy with the following serving suggestions:
scoop up with bread or flat-bread,
serve with some quinoa or rice.
Top with yogurt or eggs (you can cook the eggs from step 5 by making a well in the sauce, cracking the egg and then covering the pan until it is cooked through)
Enjoyed this post? If you enjoyed these tips, I'm sure you will love my free Facebook group called Everyday Wellness for Women which promotes manageable and sustainable tips for healthier living.
In this group you will find support and access to mini weekly challenges, free recipes, stress-busting techniques, along with ways to improve your sleep, energy, moods and much more. Click right here to join my free group today.