Lemon & Poppy Seed Muffins
If you know me, you will know that I am not a fan of shop brought muffins. Mainly because they are full of refined sugar and flours which means they give you a quick rush and then an hour later, leave you wanting!
I think there are better ways to enjoy sweet treats; make them more wholesome and nutritious and so, please give a round of applause to my Lemon & Poppy Seed Muffins. These make the prefect snack or on the go breakfast option.
Using coconut flour and ground almonds these muffins take time to eat which means you can literally taste the goodness filling you up. No sugar crashes here!
I have made these quite subtle in lemon flavour and not overly sweet but you could add a little more lemon or replace with lime. Although hazelnuts work a treat on these muffins you could replace with pecans or almonds. Due to the high fiber content this recipe does call for more eggs and so I wouldn't recommend using a vegan egg replacement in this recipe, sorry. They are however both gluten and dairy free.
One last bonus, they can be frozen too!
Lemon and Poppy Seeds Hazelnut Muffins
Cook time 20 -25 minutes
200g Ground Almonds
50g Coconut Flour
3 tablespoons of coarsely chopped Hazelnuts (don’t chop them too small)
1 tablespoon of Poppy Seeds
Pinch of Salt
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
80g Coconut Sugar
Zest of 1 Unwaxed Lemon
4 Large Eggs
150ml Almond or other non-dairy milk
Juice of 1 Lemon
3 tablespoons of melted Coconut Oil
1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C and line a muffin tray with 12 paper cases.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients except the chopped hazelnuts into a bowl.
3. In another bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients.
4. Combine the dry and wet ingredients together, mixing until fully combined.
5. Spoon the mixture into the individual paper cases and sprinkle the chopped hazelnuts on top of the muffin mix. You can add extra poppy seeds if you like.
6. Bake until golden and a tooth pick comes out clean. Around 20-25 mins.
7. Leave to cool before eating.
8. I enjoy these muffins slightly warm, halved and topped with nut butter.
9. These muffins can be frozen, just defrost and then enjoy as normal.